1. What does Bruno mean when he says to María:" We're all in the same boat. And it's leaking."
2. How does Bruno feel?
3. Why is María grateful and loyal to Bruno's parents?
4. What does Bruno realise about María?
5. Who is more sensitive towards the maid, Gretel or Bruno? Justify your answer.
6. The narrator tells us the story of Herr Roller. What is Bruno afraid of?
7. What does he plan to do to entertain himself?
8. What does Bruno think about Kurt(Lieutenant Kotler)?
9. What about Gretel?
10. Did Bruno manage to make the swing? What went wrong?
11. Who is Pavel? What kind of person is he?
12. What does Bruno learn about him?
13. Bruno's mother says to Pavel."If the commandant asks, we'll say that I cleaned Bruno up" Do you think she's being selfish as Bruno says? Explain the title of this chapter.
14. Write a few lines about Bruno's grandfather: Name, age, personality...
15. Now write about his grandma: name, age, interests, personality...
16. What's Bruno's father's name? When does it appear in the text?
17. How did the family react to his promotion?
18. Bruno's grandma had an argument with his son.(Bruno's father), what was it about?
19. What are Bruno's feelings towards his grandparents?